Tracking Ed Monroe as he travels to Haiti and other exotic(?) places

Friday, July 17, 2009

Friday July 17

Today we saw a young man who had been in a motorcycle accident. He was in pain and, as he was being treated, endured much more pain as they cleaned and dressed his wounds. He did, however, leave with a smile on his face. He was so grateful for the care that he had been give.
The question of the day seemed to be “What do we have for anxiety?” Do you think that the medication was for Haitians or team members? I’ll let you answer that when you send comments.
I spent quite a bit of time trying to make a 6 year old boy smile. Nothing seemed to work for him. I tried the water gun, the ponytail hat and clown nose, and the funny glasses. I finally chose to give him one of the small Match Box cars that the First English Church of Peoria so generously donated. It worked wonders. Thanks again for that donation.
The team has made their selection for Saturday’s dinner at the hotel and is excited about the evening’s plans. Speaking of meals, we have not suffered in that department. There is a report that we are out of oatmeal but we will make due for breakfast. The mangos and are exceptionally tasty this year. A nice surprise was that the Internet was active during the noon hour and some of the team was able to get to their emails. I am continuing on the laptop computer set ups. I am finished with Dr. Nelson’s laptop and I am working on Boyer's. It is hard to clean up when I have so many security downloads to find and install.
Becky Novak remains the queen of the scales. I do mean the pharmacy scales. Sara almost let me scrub in with her today. At least she allowed me to prepare the scrub solutions. The late nights have been catching up with me. I stayed up way too late on Wednesday evening but I was the first to bed last night. That was not a good idea as the generator went off and Jon’s CPAP stopped working and awakened him for the rest of the night. I was not sleeping well as it was very hot and muggy so I went down in the dark to switch it over. I was unable to locate a flashlight but safely made the trip and changed the power. The fans here are very important.
The team went to Son-son’s last night. I was able to see Diana, my pill packer, and her new baby. The baby is as cute as ever and looks very healthy. Ron and Peggy arrived in mid afternoon and met an American at the Cyvadier Plage Hotel named Rachel. She joined us at Son-sons and it was interesting talking with her. She is from San Francisco but attended college in St. Louis.
Tried to down load this early this morning and could not get on the net. I am now trying at noon with even poorer results.
No 5 PM and it is working so here it comes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn't know when you were going in July 'til I talked to Nick. As usual am enjoying your daily journal and "fun" enperiences.

Mary K